Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rant Of The Moment


I am disappointed when celebrity trainers hock weight loss products. Especially rapid weight loss products and 'cleansing' products. All that stuff is crap. Don't you think that if they really did work we would all be using them? It taps into people,s need for a quick fix and there is no such thing. When it comes to fat loss you need to change your lifestyle. You need to make changes that will stick for the rest of your life. That's one of the reasons I never, ever write out a diet for a client. If I wrote out a diet for someone that included items that my client did not like or enjoy, how likely is it that they will stick to it for any significant length of time?

I ask my clients to keep a food journal for 4-5 days and that log has to include at least one weekend day, preferably both. Then I look at it to see what my client likes to eat. I want to see what they gravitate towards. I have a client who loves to go out with her husband. They have no kids and stressful jobs so at the end of the day they often go out, away from their stresses, talk and drink some wine. She wants to lose fat. I am sure as hell not going to tell her she can't go out with her husband. That is an integral part of her life and she will resent the food plan and eventually reject it completely. What I have done is work with her on the types of places that they go and the types of foods that she eats (of course). As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also encourage her to stop half way through her meal and ask the server to package it up in a to-go container so it's off her plate. She can now enjoy her conversation with her husband with out being tempted by what's left on her plate.

One very famous celebrity trainer - 'Americas Toughest Trainer' - who appears on one of the most popular weight loss shows on television (I'm sure you know who I mean) is currently selling products with her name on them which include Quickstart Rapid Weight Loss System, Maximum Strength Calorie Control, Maximum Strength Fat Burner and some sort of Detox product. And, get this, you have to pay extra to get what really matters - diet and exercise tips - because she wants you to join her online program.

There is no such thing as a 'fat burner' supplement. There has been a lot of research that has proven that the body does not need to be cleansed and/or detoxed. Yes, you may feel less bloated after following some sort of detox regimen, but guess what? As soon as you are back to eating, everything will be the same as it was before the detox.

This celebrity trainer has a TWO PAGE advertising spread in Marie Claire right now, as well as most other major magazine including two popular weekly gossip mags. She also has an ad on my blog (I haven't figured out a way to control the ads that are shown here yet).

Do you realize how much that costs in advertise in major magazines?!? That's how much cash she is producing. She can place large ads in most major magazines! She is making a lot of money offering products that buy into people's hope that there really is an easy way to lose fat.

Guys, there is no easy fix. That's the sober truth. Trust me and don't buy those products. Please don't waist your money. Read the fine print, all those products have disclaimers.

No comments:

Post a Comment