Friday, October 16, 2009

Exercise counteracts fat loss?!!?


A couple of months ago TIME magazine published a cover story questioning the benefits of exercise in weight management. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the cover, and even more disappointed when I read the article. I felt it was really irresponsible to put something like that out there to the general public when we already have an obesity epidemic in this country. Plus it simply isn't true. The author sounded disgruntled with HIS fitness routine and maybe he should re-think what he is currently doing for exercise. Maybe then he can actually enjoy the benefits of exercise instead of complaining about it.

Cardio activity and weight conditioning will help you lose weight. Research has shown that it works. I know it works. I can tell you from personal experience, if I don't perform some sort of intense exercise three times per week I put on five pounds pretty darn quickly. So I continue to do my three-times-per-week workouts. The TIME magazine article further states that intense exercise actually counteracts fat loss because participants find themselves hungrier and therefore eat more. I'd have to say the opposite is true for me. I find that I am less hungry after I finish an intense workout. Actually I am usually hungrier after I take my dogs for a long walk.

As written by Shaun Dreisbach in an article for Glamour magazine, "Quite simply, exercise is the most powerful drug I've ever seen. Get your fix three times a week at least."

Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment