Monday, March 11, 2013

Contest Prep- New Plan




I am now solidly into contest prep/round 2.2.  I am doing a slightly different route this time.  Instead of just keeping my carbohydrates low I am also eating 6-7 meals a day.  Those meals consist of 3-4 ounces of protein plus either a carb or vegies.  The first three meals of the day are protein/carb and the last four are protein/vegie.  My carb choices are 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1/3 cup of oatmeal or 3 ounces sweet potato.  Veggies are pretty much anything that is green and are essentially unlimited.  It has been going very well. 

My pre-competition training routine is different this time around as well.  I have returned to my old bodybuilding ways (just like with the diet) and am doing a four day split.  Biceps/triceps, chest/shoulders, back/hamstrings, shoulders/quads (abs every workout).  Same exercises for each workout making sure I increase the weight (or at least attempt to increase the weight) every other workout.  For example for chest I am doing bench press 3X10, one arm incline DB chest press 3X10 and flat bench flyes 3X10.  Every third time I do that workout I add weight to the bar and/or pick up heavier dumbbells.  I am also changing my cardio.  5 days a week of lower end cardio 30-45mins.  That is SO old school bodybuilder but it works as long as you lift heavy.  Oh, and no 2-a-days.  At my first gym there were three pieces of cardio equipment - one bike, one treadmill and one elliptical.  That gym was in a basement with no windows. We had a couple of cable machines, a couple squat racks, benches, etc and a ton of weights.  It was a great place.  You don't need anything fancy to get the job done.

Now I am going to go prep my food for the next few days.  I have purchased a lot of little food storage containers so that I can divide everything up and just grab it and go.  Seven meals a day, two containers per meal means I have to stack up 14 containers.  My frig looks ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment