Monday, October 15, 2012

Checked Out The Local Competition





My husband, Kevin and I went to the Washington state Ironman last weekend just to see what's up.  As I have mentioned it's been 17 years since I last competed and I wanted to know how the competitions have changed.  The women's physique division is new so there were fewer competitors, there were eight in the open category and one in masters, but the figure division had four classes plus Masters over 35.  From what I could tell the judges are liking a more muscular physique when it comes to figure but that might change now that physique has been added to the competition.  The competition that I am doing has added the physique division for the first time so it will be interesting to see how many women are entering.  I have decided to enter both the Master's Over 50 in figure and open physique so I can see where I score higher.  We only went to the prejudging which takes place in the morning.  That's were the winners are decided and then at the night show is when they actually announce who won. I was impressed at how smoothly the promoter ran the event.  Judging was supposed to run from 10:00-12:00 and from my experience in the past I figured we would be there at least until 1:00 but they stayed right on schedule.

I have been working on my posing routine for the past few days.  I need one for the night show if I am competing in the physique division.  It has to be about a minute long.  During that routine you have to show off for the audience, you don't do your routine for prejudging.  I have sort of put it together so now it's about smoothing it out.

This week I am also going to do a trial run of de-carbing and then carbing up for the show.  This is were you can screw up your entire training.  If you carb up too much then you'll hold water and look less defined on stage.  If you don't carb up enough then you'll look flat so your muscles won't look as full.  This has always been a tough part of training for me.  I retain water so easily that I have to be really, really careful about how I do it.  I have screwed it up more then once and it sucks because all your hard work goes down the drain...okay that's an exaggeration but chances of winning definitely diminish.  In the past I have carbed up too much, carbed up too late and not carbed up enough.  If I carb up the night before I look better for the night show but not prejudging and, as I mentioned before, that's when they decide the winner.  Some women even carb up the morning of.  I have learned that my body takes about 24 hours to figure out what I'm doing so my plan this weekend is to carb up 24 hours before I go in and work on my routine....in front of big mirrors....with bright lights.....and my friend Teri watching.  Some women carb up on rice or sweet potatoes or even honey and baby food (yup) but for me it will have to be straight-ole oatmeal since it seems to work well for me.  My diet is already super low in carbs so the main thing will be learning how to carb up properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment